Thursday, April 18, 2019

When Love Speaks Episode 5

When Love Speaks
:
Episode 5
The lecturer walked to the board and wrote 'first semester test' on it. He turned to face the class.
"I said you should space yourself" he barked.

"please sir" the class chorused.
"will you shut up. do you think I came hear to joke" the lecturer barked.
Some minutes later, students were seen sitting at reasonable distance, away from each other, with their pen and paper on their desk. It seemed that the lecturer really meant what he said. He went to the board and wrote 5 questions for the class to solve. He turned and faced the class when he was done.
"you have 15 minutes to answer the questions. if you like, joke with it. that will be the beginning of failure for you." he said in a serious tune.
The class began the test immediately. While some were still trying to write down some things, others still have their paper blank.
15 minutes later, the lecturer collected the answer scripts. most of the students submitted a blank script, with just their names and matric number on it. only few students were able to write down some things. The questions the lecturer set was suppose to be the topic for that day, which most of the students have no idea of.
"see you all in the next class" the lecturer said and left the class.
A loud uproar filled the class immediately the lecturer left. students gathered in group of three or four to discuss the just concluded test. Henry came to sit beside Jewel immediately.
"how was it?" Henry asked.
"it was cool" Jewel responded.
"you call that scary questions cool. it was not cool on my part o." Henry said.
"why? didn't you finish it?" Jewel asked.
"I didn't even attempt any of the questions. I submitted a blank scripts." Henry responded.
"why?" Jewel asked.
"that's because I don't know any of the questions. I just pray the lecturer won't use it as part of our C.A, because I will surely score zero if he does" Henry said sadly.
"I don't think he will use it." Jewel said.
"anyway, let's put that aside." Henry said.
"okay" Jewel responded.
After a while of silence, Henry spoke.
"Jewel" he called softly.
"yes" Jewel responded.
"I really don't know what transpired between you and Angel, that made her said those things to you, but I just want to plead on her behalf. please forgive her" Henry pleaded.
"why are you pleading on her behalf?" Jewel asked.
"because I like that lady, and I plan to date her. I don't want you to be having problem with someone that might be my girlfriend. I hope you can forgive her" Henry responded.
Jewel stared at Henry for 2 minutes without saying anything. after a while of silence, he spoke.
"I truly don't have anything against her. All I will do from now on is to avoid her, so that there won't be any problem between us. you don't have to worry yourself. you can go on and date her if you like her" Jewel responded.
"thank you very much Jewel." Henry said.
"you are welcome" Jewel responded.
Francis joined them minutes later and they left the class together.
********************************************
Angel, Jessica and Lucy went to the school restuarant to have lunch. They had attended four lectures already in just one day, and they seemed to be tired and hungry. They sat at the far-left in the restuarant and ate their food silently. After a while of silence, Lucy spoke.
"Angel, I really don't know why you said those things to Jewel. what did he do?" she asked.
"just leave that guy. he thinks he can joke with everyone and go free. certainly not with me" Angel responded.
" I think you must have misunderstood him. maybe he acted rudely to you when he was in a bad mood. he did same to me, but later apologized. he is not who you think he is. he is a very nice guy. you will get to like him if you get close to him." Lucy said.
"why are you speaking as if you have known him for a long time" Angel said.
"I don't need to stay with him for a long time to know that he is a very nice guy." Lucy responded.
The restuarant door opened and their course rep walked in. He went to meet them immediately.
"Angel, I have been searching for you all over the school." The course rep said to Angel.
"Daniel, I hope there is no problem." she said, referring to the course rep. "why are you looking for me?"
"Dr. Femi wants to see you. he said you should meet him in his office" Daniel responded.
Angel froze at the mention of Dr. Femi. That was the same lecturer that gave them an impromptu test just because the class was noisy when he entered.
"why is he looking for me?" Angel asked.
"I don't know. when you get to his office, you will find out yourself" Daniel responded.
Angel stared at Daniel suspiciously for a while, before speaking.
"okay, I will go and see him"she responded and stood up.
"you guys should wait for me. I will be right back" she said to the other ladies and left the restuarant.
*******************************************
Few minutes later, Angel was standing at Dr. Femi's door. she seemed nervous. several thought were running through her mind. could it be that Daniel had told the lecturer that she caused the commotion in class today, and the lecturer wants to punish her for it. she pray silently for that not to be the case. she took a deep breath and knock softly on the door.
"come in" Dr. Femi voice sounded from inside.
she opened the door and slowly entered his office. she locked the door behind her and stood beside it.
"good afternoon sir" she greeted.
Dr. Femi didn't respond. he only focused his attention on the phone he was holding. Angel stood there like a log of wood, without saying anything. After a while, Dr. Femi looked up to face Angel.
"Are you Angel?" Dr. Femi asked.
"ye.... yes sir" she stammered.
"please have a seat" Dr. Femi said.
"sir" she said, not sure if she heard what the lecturer said. she wasn't expecting him to offer her a seat, if he wants to punish her.
"have your seat" Dr Femi repeated.
"thank you sir" she responded and sat down.
"I just marked your test scripts, and I must say that I'm really impressed by what you wrote. Even though I set the test from topic I haven't taught you in class, you still did very well. That showed you are very serious with you study and always reading ahead of the class. I called you here to encourage you to keep it up. if you continue this way, you will surely graduate with a first class degree. make sure you don't allow friends to mislead you. always keep doing the right thing" Dr. Femi advised
"thank you sir. I really appreciate your advice." Angel said.
"okay, you can leave now. that's why I called you here." Dr. Femi said.
Angel stood up to leave.
"please wait" Dr. Femi said.
Angel turned to face Dr. Femi.
"please call me Jewel when you go out" Dr. Femi said.
"Jewel!" Angel said in shock. the same Jewel she is quarreling with.
"yes Jewel. he is another student that did really great in the test. I also what to say some few words to him. you both are really great. you should not relent. you should keep such people as friend. they will surely drive you to success. he knows his reason in this school and is working hard towards achieving it. you both should be close to each other, because you are very serious with your studies." Dr. Femi said.
"thank you sir. let me go and look for him." Angel said.
"okay, you can go now" Dr. Femi responded.
Angel walked out of Dr.
 Femi's office and locked the door behind her. she rested her back on the wall and sighed.
"why will Dr. Femi asked me to go and call that jerk, of all people." she said.
She left Dr. Femi's office to look for Jewel.
After searching round the faculty for up to ten minutes, she still couldn't find jewel. She decided to go look for him at the faculty garden.
********************************************
Jewel sat alone at the faculty garden. he didn't return to the hostel with Henry. he wanted to be alone, so that he could think properly. The first thought that clouded his mind was what Henry said to him in class today. The fact that Henry plans to date Angel kept troubling his mind. He wouldn't want to keep having problem with someone his friend plan to date. he will try as much as possible to avoid her. that will be better for all of them.
A tap on his shoulder brought him back to reality. He turned to see Angel standing beside him. He froze immediately he saw her. that was the same Angel he was trying to avoid. he stared silently at her and she stared back. After a while of deafening silence, Angel spoke.
"I have been searching all over the school for you. I never knew you will be here" she said.
Jewel didn't respond. He just kept staring at her.
"Dr. Femi................"
"do you want to apologize for what you did?" Jewel asked, cutting her off from completing her sentence.
"apologize" Angel said, surprised.
"you have realized what you did wrong and want to apologize. you don't have to apologize, because it's useless apologizing to me. I want to tell you right now that we should never come close to each other. let's just pretend like we have never met and forget all that happened between us. let's ignore each other whenever we meet. I have too many problem already, and I don't want you to add to it. please stay away from me." Jewel said and walked out of Angel.
Angel stood like a log of wood, staring at Jewel's retreating figure. she couldn't believe what just happened. it was not like she was coming to apologize. she only wanted to tell him that Dr. Femi wants to see him. she stood at the garden for close to 3 minutes without leaving.

0 comments:

Post a Comment